The Queen's School

The Queen's School is an all-girl High School located in Kingston, Jamaica. It is an Anglican school and is well known and respected for producing quality students. The school is located off Constant Spring Road, on Central Avenue with The Queen's Preparatory School on the same property. The Queen's School (also referred to as Queen's or Queen's High School ) caters to students from the ages of 11 to 19, ranging from 1st to 6th forms.

The Queen's School was founded in 1953 when the Synod of the Church of England passed a resolution that a new secondary school should be established. In January 1954, the school was formally opened as a Diocesan High School for Girls with a Preparatory Department for boys and girls.

The school started with fifty-one students, four forms and four teachers in the old Doric Hotel building. The High School was under the direction of Mrs. Anne Chambers with Mrs. S. E. Clarke as Second Mistress. In 1955 Mrs. Clarke took over as Headmistress.

1958 was an important year in the history of Queen's and indeed in the history of Jamaica for it marked the coming of the Common Entrance Examination. 1958 also marked the opening of the tennis courts. 1959 saw the establishment of the Junior School for children between the ages of 9 and 11, as well as the building which housed the High School's Laboratories for Chemistry and Biology and the Cookery, Art and Needlework Rooms.

In 1960 the School had 360 students. The number of students rose from 600 in 1973 to nearly 1000 in 1978 by which time the School had a swimming pool, netball courts, and a new Administrative Block in place of the old Doric Hotel Building.